Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Paris to Spain

Our time spent is Paris was wonderful. After the girls visited the louvre, we went and had dinner at an Italian place right by our hostel. It made us miss Italy as the food was just not the same. On Thursday, Isabelle and I went to Montmartre hill while Sarah and Maggie went to Monet´s Gardens. We walked around the church and had an awesome view of the city at the top of the hill. We then got crepes for lunch, which I absolutely love. We met up with Maggie and Sarah that afternoon at Versailles. We walked around the palace and the gardens before heading back to our hostel. For dinner that night we went to a restaurant off recommendation of our hostel. The food was so delicious and it was mostly locals there. We had blue cheese scallop potatoes to start followed by duck covered in a cheese sauce and more potatoes. It was one of the best meals we have had and we all left very happy. The next day we walked around Paris in the morning before going up the Eiffel Tower. That afternoon we did some more exploring of the city and ate another good French meal of french onion soup, lamb chops, and apple torte. That night we left Paris on a night train for Irun, Spain. The train ride actually went better than I expected. We share a room with a crazy spanish dude and his wife. The minute the man walked into the TINY room and saw our huge 4 suitcases taking up the whole floor, he instantly started cursing in spanish. He then proceeded to shove the suitcases in our faces trying to get them up on the top shelves. We eventually got everything squared away and went to sleep for the night. The next morning our train stopped one stop away from Irun (about a ten minute drive). Our next train was scheduled to leave in 50 minutes for Madrid. The train company told us they didnt have a driver, but the train was obviously on a strike. Therefore, we missed our train to Madrid which had us spending eight hours in the tiny town of Irun. Maggie, Isabelle, and I set off to explore and ended up drinking sangria and eating Paella. It was great!
We finally got on a train to Madrid at 4 that afternoon and got to Madrid around 11. We checked into our hotel and then went to get some tapas. It was very strange finishing dinner at 1245 at night. You wouldnt believe how many people were still out and about at that time. The streets were packed, but we ended up going home to go to sleep after our worldwind adventure to get there. The next morning I got up to use the restroom around 7 am. The room was completely dark and as I crawled back into bed, I hit the bottom of my chin on Sarah´s top bunk. I slammed down on my jaw and my first instinct was "oh no, another chippped tooth". Fortunately all my teeth were in tact, but when I went to feel my chin, it was soaking wet. I turned on the light to find a huge gash in my chin. At this point everyone was awake and Sarah and I knew we were ER bound. The hotel employee at the front desk was just finishing his night shift and offered to accompany us to the ER. We first went to an ambulancia because he thought it would be less crowded, but they refused to assist me because they didnt have any face stitches. I honestly believe they didn´t want to help an American. We then went to the hospital where I was finally taken care of. Thank goodness the hotel employee, Louise, came because he served as my interpretator. I would have been so lost without him and he also cracked jokes the whole time while giving advice on food and places to go in Barcelona.
That day we went to the Royal Palace in Madrid and walked around the city. We left for Barcelona that night at 7:30. We have to go to dinner now so I will right more about Barcelona later...

No comments:

Post a Comment