Thursday, July 29, 2010

Crickey Mate, Its 4 in the Morning!

On Monday night, we had our farewell buffet dinner with the school. It was located at a rooftop restaurant that had great views of the city. We got there right before sunset and were able to enjoy it while having some great Italian food. Later that night we celebrated Aldo's 21st birthday. On Tuesday I went to the Uffizi museum. It was pretty interesting, but after awhile everything began to look the same. I really enjoyed seeing the works that I learned about in my Italian Rennaissance class back in Chapel Hill. It rained that afternoon and we were all really scared that our plans for the evening were going to be rained out. Fortunately the sun came out right before we were about to give up hope on watching the sunset one last time at the Piazza de Michelangelo. So we trekked across the river and sat on the steps on the Piazza as the sunset over Florence. We then went to Gusta Pizza and had the most amazing pizza ever again. On tuesday night we all went out together and then Sarah and I went to the secret bakery with two austrailian friends we made. The secret bakeries are little shops that are only open late at night that cook all the pastries and mini pizzas for the cafes around town. They secretly give you their pastries for 1 euro..its the greatest late night ever. Yesterday I went to the Medici Chapel and saw the tombs of Guiliano and Lorenzo de Medici, which I wrote a long report on in my art history class. It was really neat to be able to see that in person after spending so much time researching it online. Last night Isabelle, Maggie, and I went to Il Latini Ristorante. This was a four course meal and it was absolutely delicious. Our antipastis were proscuitto and melone, some sort of pasta/grain salad, mozzerella and pomodoro, and bruschetta with chicken liver (that was the only one I didn't like). For our primi patti, we all three got a spinach and cheese ravioli in a tomato sauce. Our secondi course was spinach, white beans in a tomato sauce, potatoes, and a meat platter of prime rib, chicken, rabbit, pork, and bistecca... it was soooo good. Our dessert consisted our a strawberry pannacotta, strawberry tort, and a sugar cake with creme filling. Throughout dinner they gave you red wine and dessert with accompanied with a muscat wine and a port wine with biscotti. I did not like the muscat or port wine. They were both two sweet and disgusting. Our waitor was originally a professional musician for ten years before becoming a waitor and we were therefore serrenated all night by him in Italian. The meal was so much fun and I highly recommend it to anyone coming to Florence. It truly captures the Italian culture and their style of dining. We have our final exams today. I already took my sculpture one. It was pretty stupid and I have no idea how I did in that class. I do not think my professor likes me very much, but I'm not very fond of her either haha. Our Italian exam shouldn't be too bad this afternoon. Unfortunately, our last two nights are upon us and I am very sad to leave Florence. It has been such an amazing and fast month.

No comments:

Post a Comment